12.11.08

The more things change, the more they stay the same

In which tween angst hits the 6th grade.

Walking home from the bus stop today Joseph had his annoyance written all over his face. Thankfully, Alexa and Jess were staying after school so he wasn't further agravated by family interference. We trudge up the hill and he looks at me and says, "Sophie has a book called "The Book." I thought perhaps it was a newly released must read book for the tween set. I'm out of the literary loop so he has my attention. "It's a book she made herself full of the secrets of the 6th grade." I'm not seeing the problem but he continues. "It only contains the secrets of the boys. She won't let us see it...just the girls. It's not fair that all the girls get to see it and we don't." I agree with him it's not fair. "I think you should talk to her mom." he says.
I said perhaps we should wait this out and see. If you don't play into making it a big deal it'll go away. Plus, I can't think of any secrets Joe has that he would be worried about. "Mom, she told me if I don't do what she says she'll tell everyone Ben's secrets." Well, that's a problem.lol
So I said if it is affecting everyone in the class then maybe he should talk to the teacher. Seriously, there are 30 kids in the whole 6th grade. "No," he says decisively."I don't want to be a tattletale. Do we have notebooks at home?" I told him I thought so." I'm going to make a Boy's Book." He continues ahead, problem solved, with a smile on his face.
And so it begins...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys SO MUCH I love you rooms. you are so luky that you each have you own bathroom and room
Sam