4.11.08

Halloween Postponed

Hola everyone!
Apologies for taking so long to update. I had pictures to add and for some reason they weren't uploading. I didn't do anything different today and it worked today so Yay...

It was a dark and stormy night following a dark and stormy week. It was wet and cold and since this is Spain. They postponed our Halloween celebration at the school. The kids were disappointed but I went out and bought candy at the store. That is, after all, what the kids were most concerned about missing out on friday night.

The elementary school kids still had their class parties and the parade. There was some really cute costumes. The most popular was my friend Nancy's son Zack...



The adult population here is overwhelmingly pro-Obama but I was still surprised to hear the kids spontaneously break out into chants as Zack went for Obama changing quickly to "Yes we can." Lest you think adults started it, I was standing next to Jess's classmate who was the one who did it. That's all I'm going to say about the election today except one more thing...VOTE!

OK, back to Halloween. I went in to watch the parade and help our in Jess's class. They did a math paper and pumpkins that needed adults to cut them to get seeds out. It was a messy fun activity. The pictures are of course backwards because my skills are limited. So first we have a picture of Mr Hupp. Jess's teacher in his farmboy costume carving the final pumpkins for the kids.


Mr Hupp reminds all of us of Uncle Thom. He's fun and has lots of patience with the kids. He's not quite as tall though. We think Uncle Thom would make a great teacher at our school though.
Below is Jess and her friend Karina. Her Mom is from Thailand and her dad is from Sweden. They have lived here for about 5 years and are hoping to be here another 2.


Jess and her friend Alyssa and Oscar. Oscar is from Spain and Alyssa is from Venezuela. This is her second year in Barcelona but her first year here at school. She went to another school last year but wasn't doing well. She loves it here.





Jess and her crew counting seeds. Behind Jess is another one of her friends Ilya. She's from France.














I'll take more pictures when we actually have the Halloween party. I hope you all had a great Halloween. We ended our day watching movies and eating candy. I missed the manwiches...the kids didn't.
Remember to Vote today!! Excercise your rights.
Love you all!!!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY ALEXA IT IS KARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I JUST GOT YOUR BLOG WEB SITE FROM COURTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SCHOOL IS HORRIBLE ON THE SPLIT TEAM ESPEcially the english teacher! She gives out homework every day of the school year. I am on the eigth grade scudule and I tell you more on your email.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruotolos!

I finally have my act together and have read your WHOLE blog. What a fantastic idea! It sounds like you guys are doing wonderful and enjoying school and life. We miss you and wish you continued good health and success in Spain. Looking forward to reading about your new adventures! Say hi to all the kids from Drew and Lily! Be well.

Love,
Maureen