When Nick and I were discussing whether or not we would extend his contract, one large point in favor of staying was the opportunity to for the kids to explore the world. The kids' school has sent a group to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity each year since we've been here. First it was Jordan, then Senegal and this year the trip was to Ghana. So we signed up Andrea and Alexa, got their requisite shots and loaded them up with bug spray, mosquito nets and epi pens. We were a little panicked about the use of peanuts in local cooking. It was a long week for me without my two A's...and without any contact. I'm so used to being able to text and call when we wanted. We did get a text when they arrived safe and sound, a few emails that were sent by the school that sent very generic "they're ok" messages. But I wasn't satisfied until Friday when they figured out how to do the international calling, that everything really was ok...despite the news that Alexa had indeed eaten food with peanuts in it and that Andrea was covered head to toe with a rash from the bug spray. But, as she said, she'd rather have a rash then malaria so she toughed it out. Andrea constantly amazes me. And Alexa recognized the peanut right away in the chocolate paste and didn't swallow it, so the reaction didn't require an epi pen...only benadryl. And all was well when we spoke and that was all I needed to know. Here's some pictures of their trip.
They spent the first day at the beach in Accra.