9.9.08

And we're online...

Wow, that seemed to take forever. We're finally hooked up to the internet. Our apologies for missed emails and events. I promise to have pictures up soon so you all can have a look around.

The movers came yesterday with our sea shipment. So far everything has made it over on this shipment. Some things a little worse for the wear but (knock wood) it seems to be all here. We're learning our way around the supermarket and dinners are starting to resemble their american counterparts. I found tomato paste on my last outing to San Cugat.

We met another family who moved the same time we did. They have two boys, one is 10 the other 7. It's great to have some one to share this experience with. Nancy and I were out exploring San Cugat together when I found the tomato paste. She also gave me a box of confectioner sugar. They aren't big on baking here.

The kids started school last week. They love it. Joe is really enjoying switching classes and teachers now that he is in 6th grade. Andrea said she can't wait to go to school every morning. Of course, we're only on day 5. I'm guessing eventually that might change. She also said that she wished she could bring all her friends over because that would make it "absolutely perfect". Alexa has made friends with *all* the girls in the 7th grade. There are only 7 of them so she's got it under control. Jess was a bit disappointed to be one of two girls on the first day of class. Still, there is going to be 5 girls and 10 boys eventually. Can you imagine? The last time one of my kids only had 15 kids in a class it was my CCD class. I love it. Everyone is very welcoming. We've had several calls from Moms offering help should we need it. And the bus is great. First of all it's a charter bus the kids ride every day. But, in the morning it's great for me because the American Moms congregate at the stop and chat a little while before going their separate ways.

The puppies had a visit to the local vet/groomer. Aside from a lengthy conversation through a translator regarding the legality of our microchips, American microchips run on a lower frequency hence have less numbers on the scanner, hence don't have enough numbers to plug into a bureaucratic machines paperwork, it went well. They got a very nice haircut and the groomers were especially friendly to Mischief. The puppies are adapting to our new neighborhood. They are less nervous about going for walks and all the dog barking that happens here, (think 101 dalmations and the dog network)

Our phone wasn't working. I know we had some family try to call and it wouldn't go through. Telefonica was here today and they say it's fixed. The sound seems to come through stronger anyway. Please email me or comment here if you still can't get through. Email me if you want our phone number. I've done everything I can think of to keep this blog from search engines and strangers but you never know with cyber space so I don't want to put it here.

I've learned that it's the little things that can drive you crazy and start me thinking about packing my bags and heading home: Laundry taking two hours to wash, phones that don't work, street signs that don't make sense. But it's also the little things that make it all better, an offer of help, a quick chat at the bus stop, someone saving a seat for you on the bus, a phone call with request for a playdate, tomato paste and confectioners sugar. So far, the good outweighs the annoying.

I promise to have pictures up soon.
love and miss you all!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We miss you all here! Samantha picked out a Jonas Brothers t-shirt at the mall today and was wishing she could share the find with the girls. Pix show you are having fun exploring. Can't wait to see more.
Love, Laura and family

The Worsnups said...

Hey Bren!!! Miss our daily talks. I have finally downloaded Skype, just need to get the headset or webcam. Can't wait to talk again soon! Love to all!