3.4.11

And that is how I know you are my sister...

Beverly came to visit us this past week. Nick was in the US for business. Nicole was stuck in school. So it was just Bev and Me...and the four kids. But, mostly they had school and play practice. She arrived early Sunday afternoon and had expressed a desire to return to Tibidabo,the amusement park on the top of the mountain. At this time of year it's only open on weekends and since she was leaving Friday morning, that only left Sunday afternoon to go. Luckily the rainy gray skies that welcomed her on landing cleared out and we had a pretty fabulous day.


Bev's favorite ride...

The next morning we work early and headed into the city. Our plan was to see the Picasso Museum, but it's closed on Monday. So we shopped around for a while then headed to the Mandarin Oriental for a fabulous spa treatment. Here is us, after we were all relaxed and pampered.

On Tuesday, I was feeling under the weather. But we had reservations for a tour of Costa Brava and Girona. So I gave Andrea the day off of school and the two of them kept the reservations while I coughed and sneezed all day at home.

On Wednesday we returned to the Picasso Museum and enjoyed the Barri Gottic shops. We had a nice Tapas lunch near the Barcelona Cathedral.
On Thursday we went to the Sagrada Familia. I hadn't been inside since well before the Pope had been there. I was in awe of what I saw televised from his visit. And in person, the interior of the building is breathtaking. It's the third largest Cathedral in the world. And without all the scaffolding inside, you can really see Gaudi's imprint on the building.
Here is Beverly, in front of the Shepherds on the Nativity Facade.
And in front of the workshop...
After we had our fill of Gaudi it was off to fill our stomachs. One of my favorite restaurants in Barcelona for lunch is Mauri's. It has the most amazing desserts. Beverly enjoyed it as well, since this was our second visit in just a few days!
On the way to the Sagrada Familia, Beverly and I were talking about More Magazine. She had mentioned the magazine wanting to talk about a particular article. I responded by saying, "I love More magazine." And Beverly said, "Really...That's how I know you're my sister."
Which I found (and still find) really funny...not the least of which is because 43 years later and it's our taste in magazines that finally confirms it for her. So, a little while later, we were going up out of the metro, and she wanted to take the escalator that was available because her feet hurt. (We'd been taking the stairs, because of all the aforementioned desserts) So, I said ok, stepped on the escalator and kept walking up the steps. Which earned me a string of not very nice comments from Beverly. And I turned and said to her, "Now, that, is how you know I'm your sister."
It doesn't happen very often anymore being able to spend time together just the two of us. With our families, jobs and one of us moving half way across the world, it's enough just to talk on the phone or communicate by email most days. But, spending time with Beverly,or really any of my siblings, makes me feel like I am home. Because no one knows me quite like they do...and I can say one word and we know exactly what we're thinking. And they make me smile and laugh...and put up with my crankiness, and other faults....and that is how I know she's my sister.
Love you tons Bev! So glad that you could join us for the week!!

No comments: