11.4.09

One post at a time

Sorry it took so long to get this post up. But we'll have a few posts in a row because I forgot to upload the pictures in the right order. So we'll start at the beginning.lol
Beverly and Nicole arrived last Friday around lunch. We made a quick stop at the kids' school to show them around before heading home for a break. Then we went out at night to my friend Angela's house for a Paella party. They had a chance to meet some of our friends here as well as share some awesome paella that Edward made.
Saturday we all went to Tibidabo, which is a neighborhood at the top of the mountain that surrounds the city. It's still considered part of Barcelona. The name of the mountain comes from the bible verse...
"et ait ei tibi dabo potestatem hanc universam et gloriam illorum quia mihi tradita sunt et cui volo do illa"[3] — "All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it" (Luke 4:6).
This phrase, meaning I will give to you, was said to Jesus by the devil as they looked down from an exceeding high mountain upon all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them. The name of Barcelona's hill thus refers to the popular tradition that it was in fact the exceedingly high mountain itself.
We drove to the funicular, which was built in 1901, however, I think it's been upgraded since then.
Here is the kids waiting for the tram.

Some pictures of us as we climb the mountain...Andrea thinks she looks more like her Aunt Beverly than me. So we took a couple of pictures to try to figure it out. What do you think?




I think she's beautiful no matter who she looks more like.

At the top of Tibidabo is an amusement park, which has been around since 1899.

Bev, and the girls went on this ride. Basically it's a platform that goes very high in the sky so that you can see an awesome view of the city. Beverly said the view was great even with the clouds. The girls liked it too. I was high enough on the ground thank you very much. Nick, Joe and Alexa in front of the roller coaster. We all enjoyed this ride!






Nick and I between rides.





Beverly...


Bev and I..



The view out over the city from Tibidabo. The blue at the end of the buildings is the Mediterranean sea. Once the clouds cleared we had an awesome view all the way to the sea. Bev and I took a quick tour of the Temple de Sagrat Cor Tibidabo, a catholic church that sits atop the mountain. A view of the tiles in the santuary.

We entered and walked around a bit but then a wedding started so we quickly left by a side door to explore the patio and get a closer view of the 12 apostles that surround the building.







Another view from another prayer area upstairs...I think it started with a B but I can't remember the name of it. The view of the cross is kind of small but the way the windows are built and the statue is hung there is natural light on the face of Jesus.






We had a great first day and headed home to relax before starting up again in the morning.
More to come in a few minutes.
~Bren

No comments: