20.3.09

A wild and crazy week

Hola!
We had quite a week with Mom, Thom, Kim and Milo here for the week. It started oddly enough on Friday the 13th. I picked the weary travelers at the airport to find that Thom had forgotten his shoes and had only the slippers on his feet he wore for comfort on the plane. I took the opportunity to show them a little of Sant Cugat...and pick up the 8th chair for our dining room set. (long boring story) When we came home everyone crashed for a few hours, I caught up on email until the phone rang. It was the school. Alexa had eaten a piece of a piece of what she thought was a chocolate chip cookie. In fact it was a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie, with peanut butter in the batter. She immediately was sick and went to the office. She had some dizziness and chest pain. Poor Martha, the school secretary scoured the school for a left over epi pen because brilliant mom that I am, I gave Alexa her own epi pen and since she didn't want the shot...never mentioned that she had one. They gave her Benedryl...and she got sick again, which made everyone more nervous that she didn't get the medicine she needed...and they went to the hospital nearby. I had never been there before and called a friend on the way for directions. Thanks to her I found it easy enough...my own anxiety caused me to miss two roads which added to my drive time. I arrived in time for the end of Alexa's breathing treatment and the discharge instructions. She was fine when I saw her but I think she scared everyone. I told her to be prepared for the epipen and a trip to the ER the next time it happens because this was a bit too scary for everyone involved. She maintained she was fine through the whole thing, dispite the chest pain and dizziness. The tragic death of Natasha Richardson this week highlighted what I was trying to tell her though, sometimes when you are the one going through the medical event you are not the best person to decide the best course of action. I think it sunk in. I left everyone mid-nap and returned with two kids and an interesting story for the start of our vacation.
Over the week we toured the Barri Gottic, found the ancient Sinogoge (i think that is how they spell it here), went to the Boqueria and enjoyed a lunch, saw the zoo, found the Chocolate Museum(twice), Toured El Born District, Santa Maria del Mar church, visited the Pedrera, Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, The Joan Miro Museum, took a cable car to the top of Montjuic and enjoyed the views from the Castel, heard the boys choir at Montserrat and touched the hand of the statue of the virgin Mary there.
I'm trying to post a slideshow...keep your fingers crossed.

I dropped them off at the airport this morning wishing we had more time. Back home I went about straightening the house and the phone rang. It was the school...Alexa was hit in the head by a rock some kid threw. I'm not sending her to school next friday. It's not safe.

No comments: