6.2.09

A little of this a little of that

Hi Everyone,
Sorry it's been so long since we've updated. The neighborhood is still cleaning up from the storm. The government was very efficient in getting the streets passable, then it was on to cleaning it up and restoring power. We're still in the cleaning it up stage. We've got huge trucks still in the streets with giant claws that are picking up the debris. It's interesting to watch and it smells like Christmas. There are still houses with trees down in the yard but most of the houses with trees on top of them have been cleared. There is definitely more sunlight filtering down on the town these days. I think there is a Robert Frost Poem about a tree..."I think that I shall never see a thing as lovely as a tree." Something like that. That phrase runs through my mind as I walk through town and I'm always a little sad that so many big majestic trees are gone.

In other news, Andrea, Alexa and Joe have been busy with play practice. Alexa took herself out of the play and is now Assistant to the Assistant Director. This leaves Jessica and I with time on our hands when she comes home. One day we ventured into Sarria for some American Baking mixes and syrup for pancakes. Most days she invites Karina over.

We're moving along with our immigration. I went to the Ajudimente office in Sant Cugat to get the papers that say we live here. Then we take those to the police station in Barcelona to finalize our process. The kids and I went this morning only the computers were down. It was funny because we're waiting with one of Nick's co-workers who is helping us through the process and translating for us. But, at this point we're literally waiting against a wall outside the office in a line of other people there for the same purpose. We'd been waiting about a half an hour when someone came out and said something in Spanish. At which point Jessica pouted and explained, He said the computer is broken and to come back another day...which he had. We were all impressed. Especially me, since I'd had a meeting with Jess's Spanish teacher last week because she had seemed to lose all her Spanish over our vacation. (note to self:no long vacations without practicing spanish) I think she is getting back in the groove. So, we go back on Tuesday morning and try it again.

Two of my friends and I signed up for a pottery class through the Barcelona Women's Network. It's a group of English speaking women who help connect one another with places to go and easier ways to get things done. The class is taught in English and we had our first class this week. I think I'm going to enjoy it very much. Using a technique called pinching I made a bowl, that very much looks like a half of a coconut and a pretty cool mug. They have to dry and then we'll get them glazed. We're going to learn a few more techniques and I can sign up for learning how to use the pottery wheel too. The class is in an area of Barcelona I had never been before, Clott. I'll bring my camera next time to take some pictures. It was a really nice area with cute little shops and side streets.

I've also been busy trying to make plans for visits and trips we want to take. If you are thinking of coming to visit please do!!! just let me know what days might work and we'll get something on the calendar.

Joe has the camera because he signed up for a digital photography class as an elective. I've got some pictures Jess took at the school one day when we were waiting for Drama to let out. I wanted to share them with you but I'll have to upload them on another day.

Miss you all and love you too!!

No comments: