17.12.08

Countdown to Vacation...

Hola Amigos y mis familia.

This post is going to be a mix of this and that.

Here is a picture of the mountains in the distance with snow on top that I mentioned the other day. Well, technically it's new snow in the distance since it melted and I had to wait for it to appear again. But, it's cool.

If you remember from the walk to the bus stop pictures the sculpture in the middle of the cirle is at the bottom of the picture.
Below is a pic from Hopnews.com of the moon on the night it was close to the earth a few nights ago. Isn't it beautiful? Makes me want to start to sing...."Somewhere out there...." *grin* Aren't you glad there is no sound on this post?


I had grand plans for a gingerbread house this year. I was very inspired by Gaudi's tile work and was hoping to recreate one of his houses at the entrance of Parc Guell. Dream big, I always say. However, we hit several road blocks. First, there is no molasses here in Spain. None. So, there is no making of my own dough. I heard Ikea has some. So I went there to find they only had the pre-made kits. OK. I bought a couple of kits. I figured we could work with it. One thing leads to another, sickness invades the house, time moves on and the candies available here are not meltable. Really they are mostly gummies. I found a few rolls of what looks like lifesavers. Then, we had a day when we found ourselves with a few friends over. I ditched my grand plans in favor of immediate fun. Each of the kids got a side of the house to decorate and eat on their own.
Joe stayed at school to work on his Movie Makers club. His friend Oscar's Mom offered to bring him home so I brought Karina, Oscar's sister and Jess's friend to our house from the bus stop. And we had Jackie and Josie, two girls who arrived at the same time we did. Their mom was off touring a local school.







Alexa and Andrea had their own roof tiles.

I did manage to melt down the lifesaver wannabees. But I didn't have much of a form to draw inspiration from so I went with this...


Not exactly what I was going for but now I know a whole lot more than I did going in. I think I'm going to search out some candies and molasses while we're home in the US. Then, we'll try again during the long winter months.

I've got some more pics from the UN Human Rights assembly the kids had yesterday but I uploaded them out of order so...tune in later...same bat time, same bat channel.





1 comment:

princessapr said...

Wow, that looks like fun. Seems like a fun night at home.

I've never been adventurous to even do a kit. My BIL actually did one years ago and installed a little lightbulb for his stained glass windows. Brat. :) Looked pretty though.