16.10.11

An Americana in Paris

 The kids had their cultural field trip and Nick was away on a business trip to Paris. So I did what any sane female would do....I went to join my husband in Paris. He spent most of his time working. And while he was busy I wandered the streets of Paris...









I enjoyed taking pictures in the Jardin de Touleries and walking by the Louvre Museum. I wandered over towards Notre Dame and did some people and gargoyle watching...



I enjoyed getting a closer look at the gargoyles through the lens I didn't have the nerve to go up the stairs inside though.



After walking around Notre Dame I headed back to the hotel for a break. Nick had a work dinner as well. I went to a restaurant in the guide that promised authentic French cooking. I was seated with a fabulous family from Norway. We had a great conversation about the Art in Paris. I was so glad I didn't stay in and order room service. The next morning, Nick was once again working and I spent the day at the Louvre.


I found the perfect tiara for me should anyone decide to make me Queen...


and followed the tourists around to all the most popular pieces of artwork...
The line in front of the Mona Lisa was long and thick. I waited and waited to take the picture below hoping to get a better sense of the photo since the distance and bullet proof glass make it seem rather remote. But...it didn't help. She is beautiful but always leaves me feeling a bit let down.


Winged Victory is one of my favorites.
It was the day we found out that Steve Jobs had died. I found it so touching that people were laying flowers outside the Apple store.


Nick was stuck in work so I took a walk to the Museo D'Orsay hoping to see the incredible collection of Impressionist Artwork. Unfortunately those floors were closed.. I was able to see the Dancer though, as she was sequestered in a room we were not allowed to enter but could see through an opening in the hallway. It's funny that a statue in France can transport me right back to my Nana's house in Steelton where she had a replica. She never fails to make me smile.
Paris at sunset













I finally met Nick in time for a sunset cruise on the River Seine....it was incredibly romantic and a fabulous way to spend our last night in Paris...together at last.

No comments: