23.5.11

4 is my lucky number

I'm interupting the vacation pictures/blogs with a post on driving in Spain. As you know I have been trying for months to get my driver's license. It shouldn't be that difficult of a process. I've been driving for years. When I finally got to take my written test I passed the first time. Of course by then I'd been studying for a few months and if I hadn't passed it, I would have been worried. I started trying to take the driver's test right away.
My first attempt was with one of my fellow classmates who had failed it her first time out. We were both nervous as we started out. She drove first and we ended up in this commercial zone that I'd never driven in before, with wide streets and odd parking lots. It was very confusing and I failed pretty much immediately when I didn't follow a street sign that told me to turn. Eduardo told me that 80 percent of people fail it the first time. I am not worried...I chalked it up to experience and waited the week before I could take it again.
My second attempt brought me to another section of the city. Our practice the day before went well. I was reasonably confident that I can pass. We drive along...everything was great, until the last turn into the street in front of the testing center...I took the turn funny and crossed the dotted line. And failed. I even did the parallel parking perfect. So, now I'm beating myself up because I should have passed. It was just a stupid thing I did.
I have to wait two weeks to take the test again. But third time is a charm right? This time I am taking it with someone I don't know. A very confident man who for some reason every comment he makes about driving in the city makes me MORE nervous. After all, I know how easy it is to fail. And it was a tricky trajectory. Even Eduardo was saying I was very unlucky with my trajectories. Even knowing some of the tricks I got caught at a left turn....and failed. I missed a red light. Don't ask. It's crazy. I completely lost all confidence. What was I thinking taking a test in a city. I am not a city driver...and it's in Spanish no less. I'm nervous anyway...and in a city and trying to translate on top of it. It was no wonder I couldn't pass. I had to pull myself together again.
Now I have to wait 3 weeks, only he couldn't schedule me for the third week and the 4th week I was in the US. So he scheduled me for the Monday after I returned. I think originally he was thinking we would have our practice on Friday and I could drive around all weekend knowing the trajectory. I had thought he was going to give me a quick practice when I showed up at 8 am but no, it was the test. No time to practice. I shared the exam one more time with someone who was taking the test the second time. (She turned out to be our old neighbors. She lived behind us) She started...and I hopped in half way. It was the same strange area that I was in the first test, only this time I was more confident. I slowly (a little too slowly Eduardo said) drove around where he told me to go...and never had to parallel park.
After the test, there is a small conference between your instructor, Eduardo and the examiner. It seems like a very long time. Your heart pounds and your brain runs through all the things you could have done wrong, could have done differently, and after the 4th time even starts psyching yourself up to take it again. Eduardo came over to us and shook his head. First he told my exam partner that she failed and explained what had happened....and I waited. Then he looked at me and said "You passed." Words can't describe what a relief that was. I did it! Finally. The thing "they" said couldn't be done...that was too hard to do and not worth the effort. I did it...on my 4th try. (Don't judge, I know people who have failed it 5 times).
I picked up my provisional license today. Once you pass they mail the provisional license to the driving school in about a week. And in a few weeks the official one will come in the mail. I am especially thrilled because they accepted my paperwork on my experience. New drivers in Spain have special rules they have to follow, special speed limits,etc. In order to get around that you need a special, stamped driving record and a stamped translation. I was a bit worried that my translation wouldn't work..I wasn't sure we had the right stamp. But it did..so that means I don't need to drive around with a big L on my car. Yay me!!!

No comments: